We use cookies to give you the best possible experience on our website. By continuing to browse the site, you give consent for cookies to be used.

For more details on how we use cookies and how to manage your cookie preferences please see our cookie policy.



Some frequently used forms are available to download here. For some of these forms you are required to print and sign the full version before sending in to us.

Expression of wish form

Use this form to nominate who will receive any lump sum payment in the event of your death. Every member should complete this form and remember to update it.

Please note: The witness should be a third party who is neither the member or the beneficiary.

Life assurance cover is provided of 3 times your salary at date of death, whilst you pay into the scheme. Cover is 3 times the value of your pension if you have left the scheme but not yet retired.

Retired members are not covered for life assurance but a lump sum may be payable on death within the first 5 years of retirement. See the retirement booklet for full information.

Expression of wish form here

Registration of potential dependant form

You only need to complete this form if you are not married, nor part of a registered civil partnership. 

Use this form to nominate a financial dependant to receive the equivalent of the spouse’s pension if you die.

Registration of potential dependant form here

Transfer request form

This only applies if you are currently paying in to the scheme and you want to transfer in to USS pension benefits you have in another pension arrangement.

Fill in the form and pass it to the Pensions Contact at your institution to deal with.

They will then pass on this form to USS and we will request the transfer value from your other scheme/s and tell you in due course of the amount of pension credit this transfer will buy you in USS.

Transfer Request form here

Revalued Benefits AVCs form

If you are currently paying into USS and would like to investigate setting up a revalued benefits AVC (additional voluntary contributions) contract with USS, complete this form, print it off, sign it and give it to the person or department responsible for pensions at your institution.

If you are unsure who that person or department is, you can email USS at

Provided that you have passed this to the relevant person at your institution, you should be contacted to confirm your wishes and to complete and sign an AVC application form. If you have not been contacted within 6 weeks, please follow up your enquiry with your institution.

Revalued Benefits AVC enquiry form

Request for personal data form

You can use this form to request a print-out of your personal data held by USS

Request for personal data form

Notification of change of details form

Retired members should use this form to let us know about changes to your address and/or banking details.  Members who have left the scheme should also use this form to update their address and other personal details.

Notification of change of details form

Notice to opt out of pension saving form

If you wish to opt out of the scheme within 3 months of joining, you will need to complete and return the form below to your employer as soon as possible after joining the scheme. For further details on the deadline for submitting this form and for information on withdrawing from the scheme after 3 months, please contact your employer

 Notice to opt out of pension saving form

Normal Withdrawal Form

This form should be used if you wish to withdraw from the scheme after a period of 3 months or more since joining. You will need to complete the form and return it to your employer giving at least 28 days’ notice prior to the date of withdrawal.

Normal withdrawal form

Election to re-commence contributions to USS following automatic enrolment

It may be the case that you have reached or will reach normal pension age, or attain 40 (or 45 for MHOs or special class members) years’ of service, before 1 March 2013 and have not elected to continue paying contributions.  If this is the case and you are an eligible jobholder then your employer has a duty under auto-enrolment, to enrol you back into USS.

If you are neither an eligible nor non-eligible jobholder nor an entitled worker or your employer has not yet reached its staging date, yet you do fit into this group then you will have a one off chance to elect within a specified period to recommence contributions to the scheme. Please complete the following form and contact the pensions or HR department at your institution if this is the case.

 Election to re-commence contributions to USS following automatic enrolment 

Election to remain in an authorised scheme upon commencing a USS eligible post

It may be that you are already a member of a pension scheme and, upon commencing a USS eligible post at your existing institution, you wish to remain in that scheme instead of joining USS.  If this situation applies to you then you may elect to remain in that scheme by completing this form and returning it to your employer.

This form can only be used where you become a USS eligible employee for the first time after 1 October 2013 and where the scheme in which you would like to remain has final salary linkage for future service and  been approved by the trustee company for this purpose.  Your employer will be able to confirm whether this is the case. 

 Election to remain in an authorised scheme upon commencing a USS eligible post