Site map

Help us make USS better for everyone; join our research community

Comments and complaints

The administration of USS and our process for handling disputes

How we handle comments and complaints

We manage the scheme in line with the law and Scheme Rules, and we strive to run it fairly and efficiently for our members. But there may be times when you have a comment or complaint about an aspect of how we operate. If you think we did something well or you think something could be done better, please let us know – we want to hear from you.

The easiest way to leave a service comment or raise an initial complaint is via our contact us form.

Or, you can email us at

Or, if you’d prefer to contact us by post, download our Service comment form and send it to:

Service Comments
Universities Superannuation Scheme Limited
Royal Liver Building
L3 1PY

We have a dedicated team who review all comments and complaints – they’ll get back to you to acknowledge receipt. We’ll then aim to write to you with a formal response within four weeks, although in some cases this may take longer.

Resolving a dispute

We also operate a formal Internal Dispute Resolution (IDR) procedure, which you can use at any time.

Under this procedure, your complaint will be considered by a senior officer at USS. If you’re not satisfied with the decision, you can ask for your complaint to be considered further by our Advisory Committee.

To raise a complaint under the IDR procedure, you’ll need to complete an IDR form. Please contact us for a copy of this form.

If you‘re still not satisfied with the outcome, you can refer your complaint to The Pensions Ombudsman, an organisation set up by law to investigate complaints about pension administration.

The Ombudsman can't usually determine a complaint until it has been considered under our IDR procedure. But you don't have to wait until you've been through the IDR process before contacting them – they may be able to offer some assistance or refer you to its early resolution service.

You can get in touch with them by visiting their website. Or, you can email them at

Document downloads