Site map

Help us make USS better for everyone; join our research community

Getting a refund

Find out if and how you can get a refund

Before deciding to leave and choosing a refund, make sure you’re aware of the benefits you’ll miss out on. Visit what you pay and what you’ll get to find out more.

Let's start with when a refund won't be possible

There are a few instances where you won't be able to get a refund:

  • You've been building your pension with us for over two years
  • All your contributions were made with salary sacrifice (please check this with your employer)
  • You transferred benefits to us from a personal pension
  • You retired but then started working again at a USS employer
  • You're over the Normal Pension Age (NPA) – you'll need to start taking your pension right away.

If you don't take a refund, you can still take your pension and one-off cash lump sum at retirement. See your pension after leaving for more information. Or you may be able to transfer what you've built up to another pension.

Here's when a refund may be possible

If you've been paying in to your pension with us for less than two years, here are examples of when you may be able to get a refund on your contributions. Just so you know, you won't be able to get a refund on your employer's contributions.

Your leaver statement will include details of any refunds you can get. If you're entitled to one, you'll be able to take it up until age 75.